This report provides an overview of M-Shwari and answers three core questions:
1. What is M-Shwari and how does it work?
2. Who are M-Shwari customers and how are they using the product?
3. Why are customers using (or not using) M-Shwari?
The report concludes with an exploration of the broader implications of products like M-Shwari, including:
1. How will “big data” and the increasing digitization of data change financial service offerings, especially for the poor?
2. What consumer protection implications do digitally delivered financial products raise?
3. What are the broader market implications as others try to replicate this digital lending success?
Cook, Tamara, and Claudia McKay. 2015. “How M-Shwari Works: The Story So Far.” Forum 10. Washington, D.C.: CGAP and FSD Kenya. License: Creative Commons Attribution CC BY 3.0